All evangelical churches were closed in 2002 following a government ban on religious groups other than Orthodox, Catholic, Lutheran and Islam. The government also persecutes non-traditional Christians, but members of the Orthodox Church also report on evangelical believers, and Muslim extremists are ready to take over where the government leaves off. When Christians are discovered they are arrested and held in shipping containers in military camps. At least 105 Christians were arrested in 2012, and 31 Christians were reported to have died in prison.
- For God’s strength for Christians imprisoned in containers, especially those arrested in 2012
- For spouses and families who are forced to live as refugees in different countries
- For worldwide awareness of the plight of Eritrean Christians.
News and Stories from Eritrea:
- Eritrean Authorities Arrest 30 More Christians
- Persecution in Eritrea at Its Highest Level Ever
- Eritrea Continues Campaign Against Church, Arrests Fourteen Women